Organic Market Garden Intern – Foragers Farms
(in partnership with Headwaters Community Farm)
Position: Market Garden Intern 2018
Type: full-time includes accom. on the farm, meals, stipend, more (see below)
Organization: Headwaters Community Farm and Foragers Farms
Location: Northumberland County, near Cobourg / 40 min E of Oshawa / S of Peterborough
Foragers Farms, is an exciting ecological mix of organic market garden and wild foraging. Gardeners Tyler Davis and Erin Bodashefsky use the latest ecological practices to cultivate and harvest vegetable crops for use on-farm (feeding family and staff, selling at farmgate market, providing ingredients for cooking classes) and off-farm (farmer’s markets, CSA program and retail outlets such as health food stores and restaurants).
Situated in the rolling hillsides and forested lands of Northumberland County, we share land and collaborate with Headwaters Community Farm and Education Centre. Headwaters works with the public to promote sustainable methods of farming, healthy eating and homesteading skills.
Our Full-time Garden Intern position is a great program for people who are interested in becoming fully immersed in an intensive market garden farming operation. During the course of the season you will experience hands-on training from start to finish, from prepping garden beds, to saving seeds for next season and every stage in between. You will learn how we provide food and wildcrafted medicinals for our CSA members, farmers markets, and restaurants/retail stores.
We are part of the CRAFT organization (Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training) and through this organization each of our interns will have the opportunity to visit and learn from the farms in our area who are in the CRAFT network.
What We Are Looking For In Our Intern
We are looking for someone who is mature and genuinely seeking an ecological path of working with plants and living and working on a farm. Although the work is hard with long days outside with the elements of nature, we hope you will have an appreciation of and gratitude for the rewards this work brings and find love in what you do. We are looking for people with a can-do attitude, excited to experiment and learn though experience, working with others as well as spending time alone.
We encourage you to express your needs, intentions, ideas and philosophies and be willing to resolve conflicts or differences of opinion through good communication. We expect you to be a friendly and informative communicator to both volunteer workers and with customers.
A Week on the Farm
Things change through the seasons but once the CSA begins in June our weeks have a fair bit of structure to them. For an intern the schedule would look like this:
- Monday: we focus on planting, transplanting, and seeding in the market garden, permaculture kitchen garden and greenhouse. At lunch we touch base casually about the week-plan.
- Tuesday: The farm-team harvest for restaurants/farmers market. As a team we harvest, mix, wash, and prepare orders for delivery to restaurants. This is a very important role as it is the final stage before hitting our customers. If time permits, we also forage in the afternoons when time permit.
- Wednesday: Restaurant delivery and Farmers Market day.
- Thursday: Some harvesting for the Saturday farmers market and CSA pickup at the Cobourg farmers market, along with cover cropping, fertility, planting, and weeding.
- Friday: Harvest day 2 for the Saturday farmers market and CSA pickup. Focus is also on the fields. We do weeding, bed-prep, trellising, and further planting is done. Plans are drawn up for the following week of work.
- Saturdays: On some Saturdays the intern is expected to be available for the Farmers Market.
This internship is a training position. 45-50 hours a week, Monday to Friday and some Saturdays, May 1 to October 31.
Includes accommodation on the farm, 3 meals a day, $100 a week stipend and access to the programming delivered by our education centre.
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Market Garden Intern