Graham’s Farm Market grows nutrient dense local organic fruit, vegetables, farm fresh eggs, meat birds, cut flowers and preserves. We sell through 3 local farmers’ markets, farm gate, and weekly food baskets (50 CSA memberships). We focus on the principles and practices of small farm operations using innovative farming techniques with sustainable agriculture on 65 acres along the Gull River.
Growing a large variety of fruits and vegetables on 6 acres, with a small apiary of 5 hives for crop pollination allows our farm to serve as a model of sustainable, organic agriculture & appropriate land stewardship. We will provide opportunities to participate in responsible environmental leadership, growing organic food, & fostering a sense of community, while working together & enjoying the outdoors.
Interns will work as part of a team alongside the farmers, employees, and volunteers on a daily basis learning about all aspects of the farming operation.
You will be exposed to and learn daily routines such as the following:
- Greenhouse operations – seeding, maintenance, and tomato production
- Proper care for plant health, seeding, weeding, planting, trellising and gentle harvesting
- Cleaning, loading, and preparing for markets and sales
- Irrigation, soil enrichment, cover crops, vermiculture, composting
- Retail and Customer Service (Farmers Markets and roadside sales)
- Poultry care and management
- Cooking and preserving of vegetables (Food safety)
- CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience
- Equipment care and use
- Landscaping and property maintenance
- Business Planning and Marketing
Interns should have a willingness to learn, ability to adapt to changing weather conditions, independently problem solve, be a self motivator, have a strong work ethic and positive attitude.
Our farm is located on the Gull River in Downtown Minden, Haliburton Highlands. We have lots of waterfront river access with a dock, patio, and fire pit. Our central location within town means easy walking to all amenities.
We have 2 intern positions with room and board included + a $400 stipend (monthly) for 2017. These positions run from May 1, 2017 until October 31, 2017. This a full immersion hands on experience for 5.5 days per week.
For more details about our farm check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grahamsfarmMinden/